Compiled by Jo Phillips
- A sobering New York Times graphic of the 2009 death count (Allied military forces only) in Iraq and Afghanistan
- An alarming case of public sector innovation in South Africa
- Some interesting and successful attempts at behaviour change in Schipol Airport, from Core 77, demonstrating that humour is important even when the subject is serious
- A talking plate that tells you to eat more slowly, via the iftf
- Stella’s app for finding the nearest pint of the stuff to your location – and a taxi to take you home!
- Bruichladdich’s beautiful bottle for the world’s first organic whiskey. It is possible to push the boundaries even in traditionally stuffy categories
- And a video of an uplifting performance by the singer Bobby McFerrin at the world science festival last year demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scale.
The image at the top is from the Schipol bheaviour change campaign, designed by the Dutch firm Autobahn.